What Teaching Knitting Has Taught Me About Pattern Writing

I've been teaching knitting for a little over 10 years.  I started just teaching my friends while I was in pharmacy school (big shout out to Ashley for being my first guinea pig) and then I began showing up and helping people at the local yarn shop in town (Village Wools in Albuquerque, NM).  Soon they gave me a beginning knitting class spot called "Friday Night Knitting with Heather" (it was not child friendly).  I really loved it and worked there for two years until I graduated and had to leave my beloved Albuquerque to pay off some school bills.  By the time I came back and got settled my second home, Village Wools, closed its doors forever.  The closing of my LYS's doors was not, however, the end of my teaching career.  I had established myself well in the knitting community here in Albuquerque and our other LYS, The Yarn Store at Nob Hill, has been kind enough to give out my name to people wanting private lessons.  I also have a fiber arts group called Stitch 'n Witch where I have taught knitting to quite a few members (and we are blessed with quilters and crocheters as well).
Teaching knitting has given me a unique perspective on knitting patterns and the spectrum of abilities in our new generation of knitters.  The following is a short list of things that you may find helpful as an experienced or novice knitting designer:

  • Work out the kinks:  Tech editors and test knitters cost money, but the cost can be recovered by the cost of your pattern.  People want to know they got what they paid for and a well written pattern with solid math and readable patterns will make your customers love you and keep coming back for more.  
  • Know your audience: I find labeling a pattern for a skill level, even before you send the pattern off to your tech editor, can be extremely helpful.  First, your tech editor will be able to adjust the pattern for that skill level (how much explanation is needed, etc).  Your test knitters will be able to verify this skill level, especially if you employee a varied level of knitting skills.  Your customers will be grateful to know what their getting into.  Some knitters never get past beginners level.  They aren't bad at knitting, but they enjoy the simplicity of it.  Some knitters never touch beginner patterns again because they love the challenge.
  • Know what you like:  If you like your patterns written or formatted a certain way, there's a good chance you aren't the only one.  Some knitters love a lot of explanations, pictures, and helpful links written into their patterns.  Some prefer to have a supplement page that can be printed or not and have the rest of the knitting pattern be as basic as possible.  This is more about knowing your audience, but also about knowing yourself.
  • Know the purpose of your pattern and state it:  I have a pattern for a scarf that is so ridiculously basic that I use it to teach knitting and I will share it with ANYONE (if you would like a copy just contact me and you can have it) because who wants to write something up if there's something available.  If you are a knitter that only wants other knitters to knit the project for themselves or as a gift, or if you don't mind knitters selling it as a custom as long as they give the designer credit, please state that in your pattern.  I find placing it with the copyright near your contact info is a good place to have it.
  • Give Credit:  I love seeing people link to their test knitters, tech editors, yarn shops, and indie dyers on their patterns!  It's a great way to collaborate and support each other in this amazing community that we have.  It's also an amazing resource for other designers who may be looking for some help or inspiration.  I love having hyperlinks available in the PDF so I don't have to search Google. I can just point and click!
I really enjoy working on patterns, including patterns directed toward beginning knitters.  I also enjoy working with beginning designers!  I love the dialogue and, while it can sometimes take a few drafts to work out all the tangles, the experience is so rewarding and fun.
I hope my experiences have given you some ideas and given you the courage to publish if you are a first time knitting designer.
XOXO,
               Heather

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reviews

Test Anxiety: Helpful Hints for Test Knitters and Designers